Monday, August 13, 2007

Self and Classroom 2.0

I've been taking some time to think and reflect about all I'm learning. I'm a quiet by nature person who is trying to sort things out on this educational journey. Margaret said, "thinking is a contact sport." Hmm...no time to soak things up and this is one of those challenges I will have to overcome. I will have to open up so that I can learn from others. The book Leadership from the Inside Out discusses Shadow Beliefs? Is my Shadow Belief, I must know every detail to feel comfortable? Or is it I must know a person to feel comfortable? Or is it I must know myself in order to feel comfortable? I don't have the answers yet, but will get back to you when I find out.

When I was reading Wikinomics and Leadership Inside Out, the word open stuck in my mind (only because I'm working on that as a personal goal as mentioned above). We are discussing Web 2.0 and how it is a part of Business 2.0, Classroom 2.0 and Self 2.0. I ran across a magazine called Business 2.0 a couple of days ago that listed the hottest Web. 2.0 sites from around the world. Then I picked up the book, The World is Flat which discusses global 3.0. What is with the 2.0's? And please don't let us move to the 3.0's. I'm just getting a clearer picture of the 2.0's. I know that I'm throwing a lot of .0's at you and that's my point. I was okay with the 2.0 but taking it to a 3.0 is another level. Will there be a 4.0? This seems insane to me.

I get the promises of open source and how it can reinvent businesses, education, and government globally. I can even buy into it. However is Web 2.0 in the classroom revolutionary? Is it evolutionary? Is it an illusion? L.A.U.S.D is such a big district that by the time information trickles down to those who must implement it, something new is now the trend. How can we build a Classroom 2.0 across this nation? I guess it starts with the teacher(s)being willing to try something innovative that becomes an epidemic until education reaches a tipping point of change and each stakeholder that is a part of that change, doesn't mind if there are more changes because it is all about the learning process and not about themselves. Whew! That was a breath full. I've been reading the Tipping Point as well. I'm trying to tie loose ends together and I'm not completely there but this is part of the process..let me know what you think?

No comments: